Assessments in D2L
Students can be assessed a few different ways within D2L. Discussions are one form of assessment (i.e., graded learning activity) that is used in D2L. Please see "Communication in Online Courses" for more information. Another way that students can be assessed is through Quizzes, Tests, Exams, and Assignments.
Quizzes, Tests, and Exams
Quizzes are the tool in D2L where quizzes, tests, and exams are developed. To access this for of assessment for your course, click on Quizzes in the Navigation Bar at the top of the page in your D2L course. To complete a quiz, test, or exam:
- Click on Quizzes in D2L
- Click on the Quiz, Test, or Exam that you want to complete.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to access the selected quiz, test, or exam
Tips when preparing for and completing quizzes:
- Do not click on a Quiz until you are ready to take AND complete the quiz, test, or exam
- Be sure to click on the quiz only once. When you first click on the quiz, it may take a few minutes to load depending on the number and type of questions. Clicking more than once may result in an error and/or you not being able to access the quiz.
- Be sure to disable pop-up blockers in your browser. D2L displays quizzes in a new window that will not open if a pop-up blocker is enabled.
- Attempting to open another browser window or browser tab while completing a quiz, test, or exam may result in you being locked out of the assessment.
- If your quiz is timed and/or has a specific due date or start/end date, do not wait until the last minute to attempt it. In the event of a technical issue, there may not be time to resolve it before the deadline.
Quizzes, Tests, and Exams for Students Using Assistive Technology
When completing online examinations using the quizzing function, it is recommended that students who require assistive technology use the Kurzweil assistive technology extension available for download.
- Download and set up Kurzweil 3000 on a Mac
- Download and set up Kurzweil 3000 on a PC
- Kurzweil 3000 for Mac - Getting Started
- Kurzweil 3000 for PC - Getting Started
Additional information regarding Quizzes in D2L can be found on the D2L Quiz Feature page
Assignments are the tool in D2L where all assessments that are not Quizzes or Discussions are developed. Examples of Assignments include but are not limited to group projects, essays, reflection papers, homework assignments, and presentations. To access this form of assessment for your course, click on Assignments in the Navigation Bar at the top of the page in your D2L course.
Assignment submission files are uploaded to an Assignment Submission Folder. Your instructor will provide specific information on your assignment including file format in which the submission should be uploaded, due dates, etc. At a minimum, the following steps will help you upload files into D2L.
- In your D2L course, click on Assignments at the top of the course page.
- Select the desired Assignment Submission Folder from the list of assignments.
- Scroll down to the Submit Assignment heading and click Add a File
- Navigate to your desired file, select the file, and click Open.
- Once the upload is complete, add additional files if needed then click Submit.
Additional information regarding Assignments in D2L can be found on the D2L Assignment Submission page